Sunday, November 14, 2010

NaNoWriMo - Day 14


I went to my first SCBWI meeting yesterday, smack bang in the middle of Lygon Street in Carlton. There was such a feeling of goodwill and warmth in the room that it nearly drowned out the waiters placing orders at the kitchen window behind us. Moving our seats forward two steps to the front of the room also helped with the noise.

I saw some old friends and made some new ones. Corinne and Claire were excellent hosts and kept us on track. Congrats again to Glenda Millard on winning the Crystal Kite Member's Choice award for her book A Small Free Kiss in the Dark. Wendy Orr, whose book Peeling the Onion was one of the first legit YA books that I ever read, gave us an insight into the making of Nim's Island. Her underlying theme was — letting go. Letting go of your creation and understanding that once it leaves your hands it will never truly be yours again. This is a hard thing for writers to learn, but it only gets easier once you do.

Still, I found it hard to read the prologue to Six out loud to the group. The first time I had ever read any part of six to an audience, and an audience of my peers, which made it daunting. It was an emotional scene and integral to the story - note to self, never read that scene aloud again. Also has been an emotional week in one way and another, so guess that didn't help.

Note to George, sorry I made a fuss about you leaving, but it's only cause I know you and figured that you would take the joke! Which you did with good grace, what a gentleman.

5 comments:

Julie Murphy said...

Hi Karen. I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your presentation at the SCBWI meeting on the weekend. I can't really speak for everyone...but will anyway. :- ) Your reading was a terrific experience, albeit a tad unsettling (but only because of the content). Please reconsider your note to self not to read that passage aloud ever again. It was great.

And so was the rest of your presentation!

Best wishes, Julie.

karen tayleur said...

Hey Julie, nice to meet you on the day. It was very reassuring having you sit up the front - someone I could focus on in a sea of strangers (you only being a new unstranger of course).
I guess the response when I finished reading was also unsettling - dead quiet! Eeek.

Julie Murphy said...

The quiet was a compliment! Your writing moved the whole audience. Wow, I hope my writing can do that one day.

George Ivanoff said...

Hey Karen,
Great presentation. And I am sorry I couldn't stay longer. Damn brother and his 40th birthday. :-)
And I survived the fuss.
Cheers, George

karen tayleur said...

Hey George, sorry just saw your comment. Was great to see you on the day — I'm sure the birthday was worth the pain of walking out!