Wednesday, April 27, 2011

May Gibbs Fellowship - Four Sleeps to Go

May Gibbs was English, but emigrated to Australia at the age of four, so I consider her Australian, through and through. I read the Gumnut Babies as a child. It was the illustrations that left a lasting impression, though also a sense that I was hearing an Australian voice in a mostly English-US market at the time.

In four sleeps I shall be taking up a Fellowship for the month of May in Adelaide. It is with some trepidation that I am setting out on that 10 hour car journey. And it isn't the car trip that's weighing on my mind. It is the terrain of What Ifs which sees me approach this journey cautiously.

Still, writing stories is all about the What Ifs.

So bring it on...

5 comments:

job said...

Go Karen! All those 'what if's' will dissolve. Enjoy the 'this is' that replaces them.

Claire said...

You'll have a ball, Karen! The drive is not a bad one, with regular towns to break the miles. And once in the Burrow, and over the oddness of having this time to yourself, it's a very energising and creative environment.

karen tayleur said...

thank you both - I will try and live in the moment!

Sue Lawson said...

KT - not sure which way you go, but there's always a bed here! And I know you'll have a ball.

Alison Arnold said...

And you if were happening to pass by Ballarat...
Have a wonderful, inspired time.