Thursday, May 5, 2011

Dough!



May Gibbs Fellowship
Day 5

Had to leave The Burrow today to go to the Post Office. Along the way I saw this awesome display of cupcakes and heard a mother say 'Come away from those cupcakes' to her toddler, as if they were poison.

The other thing I noticed was that living in a different city in the same country is like living in a parallel universe. The TV Channels are the same but the local news is presented by newsreaders who kind of look the same but kind of don't. Their jokes seem a little fake, because they aren't the real newsreaders that I'm used to. The radio announcers suffer from the same wrongness. The local weather also just a little off. Australia is skewed to highight the state I'm in and suddenly Melbourne's dot looks wrong on the map. The ads highlight roads or suburbs that aren't familiar.

It's kind of like that episode of the Simpsons where the parallel world Bart and Lisa save the day. Unsettling.

3 comments:

Corinne Fenton said...

Well I will certainly comment. Just caught up on all your Burrow Blogs. Great to see your photos and to hear how much you are enjoying it. Please remember to pass my love to Mary and Ian and tell Mary I am taking good care of her books. Enjoy every moment KT and create more of those beautiful words.

karen tayleur said...

Thanks C - you too!

Kaye Baillie said...

It's 6.20am and still dark outside. Having a cup of tea in bed with laptop and fiddling with twitter etc. I love your posts. It sounds like a fabulous time you're having and love the photos. The poor little toddler - why wouldn't it be drawn to the colourful beauties? I was.