Monday, May 16, 2011

Magic Long Weekend in Melbourne



I spent a magic long weekend in Melbourne which was noticeably colder than the town I left behind. Saturday night was Dr Zhivago - a birthday present from friend Bernie and an incredible tour de force from the cast, including the amazing Anthony Warlow.
Sunday was A Year of Writing for Children at the Wheeler Centre for the Victorian Writers Centre. We welcomed Ashley, the only male in a class of females, a moot point as in the end it was a class of writers and a lot was achieved - albeit to the sometimes rebel sounds of the gathering on the State Library steps.
At some point over the weekend I wanted to turn our homegrown tomatoes into chutney, so whipped something up on Monday morning before the plane back, but it was more like a sauce than a chutney.
Melbourne is magic in Autumn and the splash of colour from autumnal leaves reminded me of the cards painting the white roses red in the Queen's garden in Alice in Wonderland. I also spied a couple of mushrooms fit for a fluttering of fairies.
Back to May Gibbs for more writing today feeling refreshed and invigorated.

1 comment:

Corinne Fenton said...

OMG. You made runny chutney too!!! Incredibly impressive. Wasn't Dr. Z. amazing? I saw it Monday night. I always had some sort of affinity with that story. I nearly got to serve food to Omar Sharif in Scotland about 100 years ago when I was working as a waitress, but he changed his mind and went to another hotel, if my memory serves me correctly.