Friday, May 6, 2011

Dulwich and the Cave of No Return

May Gibbs Fellowship May 2011
Day 6

It was the sign that stopped me.
A promise of hidden treasures.
There were two entrances, but one was blocked.
I stood undecided.
There were chores to run.
This was not my quest for today.
But something was drawing me inside.
And even as I decided to move on,
my feet stepped into the cave
and my senses were overloaded
with the tumbling cacophony before me.

Inside the cave the light was low.
From ceiling to floor
from corner to corner
the past brought together in a jumble of nonsensical priorities.
The air was foetid, my breath shallowed
as I moved forward.
Then a voice rose out of the chaos
'Yes?'
As the door slammed shut.
Behind me.

Pic: One of the beautiful streets in Dulwich, Adelaide.

2 comments:

Shirley Marr said...

KT! Good to see so many blogs! Hope the writing is going well, come back with a masterpiece.

karen tayleur said...

Hey Shirley Marr, well I'll definitely be coming back with something!