Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Ow hanow yv Karen





May Gibbs Fellowship
May 2011

Today I found myself in a time warp as I visited the Cornish Festival, Kernewek Lowender, at Moonta, on the Copper Coast in South Australia. I took a two hour crash course in the Cornish language (ie My name is Karen) with the wonderful Lilian James, attended the Moonta Dressing of the Graves and listened to some costumed kids sing some olde worlde music. Shop assistants in the town were dressed in garb from the 1800s and there was even a front yard showing off a line of washing.

This festival lasts a whole week, and there was the feeling that things were only just revving up.

2 comments:

Kaye Baillie said...

Nice pics, Karen. I really love the washing by the old house. It looks like a home where all are welcome and a cup of tea and cake are waiting.

karen tayleur said...

I know Kaye, it was such a nice surprise to come across!